The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was the largest and most ambitious of Roosevelt’s New Deal. It employed millions of unskilled workers to carry out public works projects. Between 1935 and 1943, the WPA provided almost eight million jobs.
|Click to enlarge|
The first task for the WPA workers was to finish the roof of the park pavilion (later, named The Peterson Shelter). The CCC had completed the masonry and stonework prior to leaving. (Photo left: Early postcard. Please note absence of roof on wood shed and bench.)
|Click to Enlarge|
The WPA workers did not stop at building stone structures still found in Wyalusing State Park. The workers built a road into what is now Wisconsin Ridge Campground. They also constructed a road to the far south end of the park, Henegar Point. The road was built on a CCC created trail. Today, the road is called Cathedral Tree Drive.
The WPA also created the tennis courts in 1939. A small hill was dug out in order to create the tennis courts. The dugout dirt was used to create the Point Lookout parking lot.
Without the CCC and the WPA, many of the buildings and roads might not exist today at Wyalusing State Park.